Hello and Welcome~

Grab your favorite cup of Joe and pull up a chair, relax and enjoy. Please feel free to comment or leave a message. I look forward to talking with you!

Pslam 27:1

"The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?

When the wicked, even my enemies and my foes came upon me to eat at my flesh, they stumbled and fell, though a host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear, and a war shall rise against me, in this will I be confident."


Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Proud Moment!

One of my downfalls as a christian is that I never enjoy or "revel" in the great moments with Christ. I move onto the next thing to fast to sit and dwell on the awesomeness of God. I am too busy moving and shaking. But last night and today I am making myself dwell and be reminded of how in control he is.
My 13 year old son Alex is involved in a ministry at our church called, "Church on the Street." It ministers to the homeless. While he was working at the ministry he was talking to another parent from the church. Alex asked about his daughter Dakota who is also 13. The father said she is not doing well. Her close friend committed suicide the other day. There is this game children play with a wire wrapped around their next and squeeze until they pass out. Dakota's friend used the same type of wire to kill herself.
Last night at church Alex went up to Dakota and said, "Do you have anyone to sit with tonight?" Dakota said, "I don't have any friends." Alex was with his friend Katherine and said, "Well you have two now, come sit with us." And they sat together during church. My oldest daughter is camera happy and she started taking pictures after church. Dakota says, "don't take my picture, I am to ugly and the camera with break." Alex and Emily told her how beautiful she was.
I was proud of Alex for at the age of 13 he ministered to the needs of this girl. He served!! I home school my children and one thing I have taught them is that they are here to serve NOT to be served. AND what an awesome feeling that is to help others.
As we were snuggling on the bed last night and telling him how proud I am of him and giving him kisses all over his face, much to his dismay, I pondered why girls are so hard on themselves.
Where did we as parents go wrong? Are we allowing society to overtake our families and our children? My daughters struggle with being valued as much as the next person. But as I emailed to sister in Christ today, why are our daughters feeling more valued by boyfriends, possessions, beauty? Shouldn't we be teaching them the value they have in Christ? I too am at fault for this. I need to stress this more! Tell them more that they are wonderful children of God and the Creator of the Universe loves them exactly the way He made them. Beautiful in his sight!!
As a parent I get so scared of what our children are facing today. I have learned that I have to walk closely and cling to the cross to be able to discern what God is teaching me and telling me about my children. I cannot miss a beat! I have to have ears to hear! Lord help me to always be hearing your promptings for my children. In Jesus Name.....

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I agree... what a wonderfully compassionate boy!! I have those very same fears with my girls who are only 8 & 4, but I desperately don't want them to grow up with all of the insecurity that I did. I wrestle with it constantly, but it keeps me close to God. I keep reminding myself that they are not me and that they are growing up in a house that loves and serves God. They're going to have issues... we need to just pray, pray, pray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It is so hard because I also struggle with those fears. Always feeling less than or not good enough. Making sure I don't pass that along to the girls. Constant praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a child shall lead them, I got a little teary reading this. You have raised a wonderful son.

    ReplyDelete